UKCC Info and Courses (UK Coach Certificate)
UKCC aquatics courses/qualifications are currently available in the following areas
- Levels 1 and 2 in Teaching Aquatics
- Levels 1, 2 and 3 in Coaching Swimming
- Levels 1 and 2 in Coaching Water Polo
- Levels 1 and 2 in Coaching Synchronised Swimming
- Levels 1 and 2 in Coaching Diving
The level of each qualification can be mapped onto the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF) which includes qualifications across a variety of sectors and subjects.
Candidates can be confident that these are nationally respected and recognised qualifications which sit alongside other similar qualifications on the Scottish Framework.
Benefits of the UKCC for Teachers and Coaches
- An SQA endorsed qualification on the SCQF framework
- Enhanced coaching or teaching skills
- A professionalised role for sports coaching in the UK
- More flexible coach-centred training programmes
- Sport-wide recognised seal of quality qualifications
- Provides a benchmark for employers and clubs
- Qualifications underpinned by National Occupational Standards
To attend a Scottish Swimming UKCC course you must fulfil the following pre-requisites:
- Current membership of Scottish Swimming *
- Level 1 - aged 16 or over
- Level 2 - aged 17 or over and hold appropriate Level 1 qualification
- Level 3 - hold Level 2 qualification plus evidence of appropriate experience - application only
Please see course syllabus details for full information and pre-requisites.
Scottish Swimming are moving away from paper based courses. Our UKCC courses are now completed via our ePortfolio OneFile. Learners will now receive a unique account to compete and receive all coursework and resources electronially. All information will be supplied to learners following course booking; please see the OneFile Learner induction video for a flavour of the OneFile system.
Scottish Swimming is also pleased to announce the availability of Sport Scotland subsidy funding for Scottish Swimming members who wish to attend a Scottish Swimming UKCC course.
Subsidies are currently available for all Level 1, 2 and 3 courses held in Scotland. Further details can be found on our subsidy section here.
The Structure of the UKCC Aquatics qualifications within Scotland
The UKCC Aquatics qualifications are provided by Scottish Swimming in Scotland and awarded by the SQA. The SQA is the awarding body for qualifications within Scotland and are responsible for
- Registering qualifications on Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF)
- Monitoring quality through external verifiers
- Ensuring standards of training provider (i.e. Scottish Swimming)
Scottish Swimming is the training provider for UKCC aquatics qualifications in Scotland and responsible for:
- Training, licensing and supporting tutors
- Providing tutor CPD
- Appointing and training assessors
- Appointing and training expert witnesses
- Appointing and training internal verifiers
- Registering courses and candidates
- Awarding bursaries to Scottish Swimming members
- Providing resources
- Providing assessors
- Monitoring quality (internal verifying)
- Awarding certificates
- Supporting course organisers
- Licensing teachers and coaches
Information on organising a UKCC course together with course registration forms and calendar of courses can be found on the download section of the website.
* There are 2 ways of becoming a Scottish Swimming Member:
1. Via one of our affiliated clubs – please liaise directly with the club Membership Secretary to authorise / process
2. Via one of our affiliated Swim Schools – Details below.
Swim School Membership – click here
• Select a Swim School to join from our affiliated list online (link above)
• Contact the Swim School to ensure they approve your application
• Complete the Swim School Membership form available online (link above) along with the £10 fee
About Swim Schools
All current ASA qualifications will continue to be recognised.
- Tutor - Hold Level 2 qualification plus appropriate experience, by application only.